This blog is mainly about prevention measures, with the intention to keep you out of danger and trouble. I am of course well aware, that some of you who are looking for advice here, might have already experienced an unfortunate event, being a victim of violence or crime, or might be actually currently experiencing some kind abuse or acute hardship. Or maybe you want to report something suspicious or an actual crime to the police. Here you can find relevant links to all kind of government institutions like the police and emergency services, organizations that deal with crime prevention, but also with help for victims, legal advice, and everything else related to the subjects I am writing about.

Emergency services

999 – UK Emergencies Only number

999 is the main emergency number used in the United Kingdom. Through this one number,  you can contact the main emergency services:

  • Police
  • Ambulance
  • Fire Service

The operator can also connect you to other emergency services like:

  • Coastguard
  • Mountain Rescue (you must first ask for Police)
  • Lowland rescue
  • Cave rescue
  • Moorland search and rescue service
  • Quicksand search and rescue service in Morecambe Bay
  • Mine rescue
  • Bomb disposal

112 – EU wide Emergencies Only Number

112 was introduced across Europe in order to give a standard number for travelers to call across the EU. It connects to the same services as 999 and works in exactly the same way. Neither number has priority over the other, so you may use either number to reach the emergency services.

How to Call 999 or 112 in an Emergency

To call 999 and 112, simply enter the number into your mobile telephone or landline. The call is FREE! The operator will answer and ask ‘Which service do you require?”. If you are unsure, ask the operator for advice.

UK mobile phone networks use “Emergency Call Roaming”. This means that although a mobile phone might display a ‘no signal’ message, an emergency call will attempt to contact to another network. However, you will be unable to receive a call on that network, even if the inbound call is from emergency services.

However, if your phone does not contain a SIM card, you cannot make emergency calls. A SIM-less phone may display ‘Emergency Calls Only’, but that’s the phone’s software displaying the message. SIM free emergency calls have been blocked due to untraceable hoax calls.

How to Text 999 in an Emergency

You can also send a text to 999 (but you must per-register for this service). To per-register, text the word ‘register’ to 999. You can only send a text message from your own phone network. If you have a weak or intermittent signal on your home network sending a text to 999 could be a life saver.

101 – is the Non-emergency number for the Police only

You can call 101 to report crime that is not an emergency. For example:

  • Your car or property has been stolen
  • Your property has been damaged
  • You suspect drug use or related crime in your neighborhood
  • Share information about crime in your area
  • Speak to the police

You should always call 999 when it is an emergency, such as when a crime is in progress, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, when there is danger to life or when violence is being used or threatened.

101 is only available if you are calling from within England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland. Calls are charged at 15 pence per call.

Here is the link to the national police web presence, should you require more information related to police response

111 – is a Non-emergency number for the NHS

NHS 111 can help if you have an urgent medical problem that is not an emergency issue and you’re not sure what to do. You will speak to an advisor, who will ask a series of questions about your condition, or the condition of the person affected.

Crime prevention

Neighborhood Watch

Neighbourhood Watch is the largest crime prevention voluntary movement  with over 2 million active members across communities all over England and Wales. The main objective is that neighbors should look out for each other and report suspicious activities and crimes to increase the overall safety of their community.



CrimeStoppers is an independent charity that is nationwide actively involved in resolving and preventing crime. Based on research they have found that many people don’t report crimes, because they won’t to talk to the police. You can report crimes anonymously to CrimeStoppers 24/7 and they will then engage the proper authorities. There are also rewards being paid out, if your crime report leads to the successful capturing of criminals.


Violent Crime Prevention Board – VCPB

VCPB aims to promote, inspire & highlight success in order to combat the negative stereotypes of young people & issues of violent crime. The Violent Crime Prevention Board consists of a team of experienced professionals, community influencers, police, and practitioners in the area of addressing violent crime.


Police Crime Prevention Academy

The Police Crime Prevention Academy (PCPA) is part of Police Crime Prevention Initiatives, the police-owned organization that works on behalf of the Police Service throughout the UK to deliver a wide range of crime prevention and police demand reduction initiatives.


Harrasment, Sexual Abuse, Domestic Violence, Child Abuse

Women’s Aid

Women’s Aid is a national charity, working with women and children that experience domestic abuse. Women’s Aid also has a free  Survivor’s Handbook that provides information for women on a wide range of issues, such as housing, money, helping your children, and your legal rights.



Refuge is an organization that is supporting those who have experienced violence and abuse. They run a range of specialist services to help survivors access safety and rebuild their lives.

Telephone: 0808 200 0247
Monday to Sunday, 24 hours


Rights of Women

Rights of Women offers confidential legal advice on domestic and sexual violence. They produce free information sheets which can be downloaded from their website.


Victim Support

Victim Support’s mission is to help anyone affected by crime, not only those who experience it directly, but also their friends, family and any other people involved. It doesn’t matter when the crime took place – you can get support at any time, and for however long you need.


Unseen runs a safehouse in the South West for women of 18 years and over who are classified as survivors of modern slavery and human trafficking. Their work and specialist care is dedicated to the fight against slavery. Through supporting survivors, they give them a safe place to recover from trauma and rebuild their lives.


Anti-Bullying Alliance

The Anti-Bullying Alliance is a coalition of organizations and individuals, working together to stop bullying and create safer environments in which children and young people can live, grow, play and learn.


National Stalking Helpline

The National Stalking Helpline can provide advice on how to deal with any type of stalking behavior. This includes advice on how to report the behavior to the police, and what you can expect if you report something.

Helpline: 0808 802 0300


Help after rape and sexual assault

If you have been sexually assaulted, whether as an adult or a young person, it is important to remember that it wasn’t your fault. Sexual violence is a crime, no matter who commits it or where it happens. Don’t be afraid to get help. Below is a link to a dedicated web site of the NHS that gives advice for victims of sexual assaults and rape.


Rape Crisis

Rape Crisis is an umbrella organization for Rape Crisis Centres across England and Wales. The website has contact details for centres and gives basic information about rape and sexual violence for survivors, friends, family, students and professionals. Rape Crisis (England and Wales) also runs a freephone helpline.


Other useful resources on the topic of domestic violence:



Send this to a friend